Standing Still in the Cloudiness

Dreary days like today (with and without rain) are simply dreadful.  So dreadful that all you want to do is lounge on the sofa under a big fleecy blanket with a book or perhaps just shut your eyes.  I guess I cannot speak for everyone, but that is all I want to do right now.  As the grey drizzle comes down outside of my window, all I can think about is the warm and bright rays of the absent sun.  So, I give you the following list of "sun"ny songs in the hopes that they brighten your day with sizzling guitar riffs, peppy tunes, and just good feelings:


  • Here Comes the Sun:  a comforting Beatles classic written by the highly underrated George Harrison 
  • Good Day Sunshine:  another great Beatles tune with positive vibes
  • Sunshine of Your Love (Cream):  This is one of my all-time favorite songs in all the world featuring one of the greatest guitarists in the world (in my humble opinion), Eric Clapton.  If I played guitar, this is one song I would want to learn how to play.
  • Keep on the Sunny Side: a song I had never heard of until "O' Brother Where Art Thou?", but quickly fell in love with
  • Blister in the Sun: three reasons--it's the Violent Femmes, it's from the '80s (the 1980s not the 1880s), and its recognizable opening is sublime
What songs are sunny to you? Cheer you up? Just make you feel good?  Do tell...

Until next time, keep it on "11",

SRM

Comments

  1. Black Hole Sun. I love the song and that's about as sunny as I think I'm going to feel in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to piggy-back on that and add another great Soundgarden lyric--"I'm looking California but feeling Minnesota..." Hang in there, my friend!

      Delete
  2. Look fo rthis post to be linked to my next post :) and now, I've got to ask... what does "Keep it on '11' " mean? Also, thought of another podcast Ijust started listening to at the urging of my 20 year old - it is called "Surprisingly Nice" - I think you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! :-) "Keep it on 11" is a reference to the very funny mockumentary, Spinal Tap; one of the characters has an amp that has a volume dial that goes up to 11 as an option, rather than the usual 0-10. When asked by the onscreen film maker (Rob Reiner) why didn't he just make 10 louder, the guitarist replies (something to the effect) that if you need that extra push you can go to 11. It's an amusing scene that I cannot describe very well. Thanks for the podcast recommendation; I notice that Adam Savage is the guest on episode 1--we're big fans of Mythbusters. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts